Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cabbage Worm Armageddon Part III



Not this year for us.

With a few plants, we can handpick and destroy the cabbage worms easily.

A row cover will avoid the Imported Cabbage worm butterflies to lay down theirs eggs on the leaves of the cabbage family members (broccoli, cauliflower, kale, kohlrabi, mustard, radish, turnip, etc) .

Another possibility is to do like I’m doing: grow a rosemary plant near your broccoli and cabbage plants. According to the Cornell University extension the smell of the plant will repel the cabbage moth.



I’ll let you know how that goes!

1 comment:

  1. I would like to know how well the row cover actually works. When I tried it, the bugs were trapped inside and destroyed everything. The fact that it is covered means one doesn't get the visual effect of the plants while approaching the garden, and I worry about letting bad bugs in while I open to check inside.
    I really like the idea of companion planting--it requires taking the time to learn, but it is very worthwhile. I look forward to hearing how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

Comments with links to business websites will not be published.